Saturday, January 15, 2011

Bedskirt to Fun Apron!

    
     I have really gotten into sewing lately.  I admit, I don't know all the rules to sewing and I often mutter to myself, "What am I suppose to do?".   Although I often make frustrating mistakes I am determined to learn. No matter how many mistakes I make I will keep plugging along in hopes that one day I will feel confident enough to say, "Sure Sadie, I'll make your prom dress.  No, problem!".  Here is where I must take a moment to thank my mother for the prom dress she made me years ago.  I wanted this trim on the sheer outer layer of the fabric and she complied with my request even though the task was anything but easy.  I have learned now that some fabrics are harder than others to work with; sheer being one of them, but of course the dress turned out beautifully.  She even made a matching bag from the leftover material....now that's being a magnificent mommy!  Thank you mom!  (I'd share a picture of that dress but it was in the days of non-digital photography....lucky me.)
     My newly formed interest in sewing has spawned an even greater interest in upcycling.  Taking something old and transforming it into something new is so fun.  My friend Emily made one of these skirt aprons for her daughter to hold her crayons and when she showed it to me I instantly knew what to do with the bedskirts I had purchased from goodwill only because I had fallen in love with the polka dots!  The gathering of the skirt is already completed so I only had to attach the sash (brown material from the other bedskirt I had found) and sew the pockets for the markers.  Markers, for a two-ear old?  Don't worry this toy will be hung high when not supervised by an adult.  I don't think I am ready for markered walls, furniture, floors or a markered child!  Here's little Miss Sadie with her new apron.   The aprons a little big for her now but that just means many years of fun and to think it only cost me $2.99 and a little bit of my time.


 I think she is rather pleased, don't you?

2 comments:

  1. oh cute!!! and there's the kitchen. I can't imagine anything more fun for a little girl to do. Good job. I'm so excited for you to get into sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I love recycling products and these is adorable.

    ReplyDelete